Exercise is overrated! Okay. Anyone who knows me knows I'm kidding. There is nothing better for you to calm your mind and boost your body's metabolism then a great 20 minute bike ride 3 times a week or a moderate paced walk. Although exercise is the number one way to manage your metabolism and lose weight science has found several foods that can augment your exercise program and help you burn calories.
To aim for better results in your weight management goals here are my 5 top food choices to include in your daily intake.
5. HOT PEPPERS Capasaicin, a chemical found in jalapeno and cayenne peppers, will temporarily stimulate your body to release more stress hormones which is a natural metabolism enhancer. Personally I’ve noticed when I include a few jalapeno peppers with my meals I feel satiated quicker, especially when served warm.
4. LEAN TURKEY - Meats low in fat like turkey and white chicken will rev up your fat-burning engine and boost metabolism increasing your ability to burn fat by building lean muscle tissue. A 3 ounce serving of skinless light chicken or turkey has a 120 calories and 26 grams protein. There is no doubt eating five small meals a day, which included protein it will stave off hunger. I am a huge fan of eating eggs for breakfast. They keep me going through my AM workouts and satisfied until lunch.
3. LOW-FAT YOGURT – In a recent study, people on a reduced calorie diet who included three to four servings of dairy foods lost significantly more weight than those who ate a low-dairy diet containing the same amount of calories. Low fat yogurt is a fabulous source of calcium, providing about 450 mg or half the recommended daily allowance for women ages 19 to 50) per 8 ounce serving and 12 grams of protein.
2. GRAPEFRUIT - Remember the grapefruit diet? It was real! Researchers found that women who ate half a grapefruit with each meal in a 12-week period lost an average of 3.6 pounds. The chemical properties in this vitamin c-packed citrus fruit, reduces insulin levels, which promotes weight loss and boosts metabolism. My 21-year-old daughter is a huge fan of eating ½ a pink grapefruit before every meal.
1. APPLES AND PEARS - Overweight women who ate the equivalent of three small apples or pears a day lost more weight on a low calorie diet than women who didn't add fruit to their diet. Fruit eaters also ate fewer calories overall. It is a great way to satisfy a sugar craving. It’s the fiber in apples that expand in your belly and makes you feel full longer plus they’re low sodium. Pear fiber also helps prevent cancerous growths in the colon plus it’s rich in heart-healthy potassium!
Of course it goes without saying that water is the key to life and weight loss. A new study indicated that drinking water actually speeds up weight loss and is one of the best ways to increase metabolism. Researchers in Germany found that subjects increased their metabolic rates by 30 percent after drinking 16 ounces of water. Water is also a natural appetite suppressant that calms bloat as it flushes your system of toxins. Another great liquid for boosting metabolism is GREEN TEA. So drink up!